Mental Health Resources
It’s finally here! Back to school season! While going back to school may look and feel different from years past, we want to offer resources to support navigating the school year.
We totally get it - last year was hard. So this year we are sharing resources focused on mental health and wellness to get you going for anything that may be ahead this year.
This guide is designed to offer supplemental tools and access points to the LGBTQ community to support your well-being. While this is not a comprehensive list, we also acknowledge this list is not a replacement for mental health support from professionals including but not limited to therapists, psychiatrists, primary care physicians and any helping professionals who are trained in this work. This list is an on-going list of resources to support your overall goals towards wellness and mental health.
Online Helplines [Call, Chat & Text]
- Trevor Project Trevor Project trained counselors are here to support you 24/7. If you are a young person in crisis, feeling suicidal, or in need of a safe and judgment-free place to talk, call the TrevorLifeline now at 1-866-488-7386.
- TrevorText Text START to 678-678. Confidential text messaging with a Trevor counselor, available 24/7/365. Standard text messaging rates apply.
- TrevorSpace — An online international peer-to-peer community for LGBTQ young people and their friends.
- Trevor Support Center — Where LGBTQ youth and allies can find answers to FAQs and explore resources related to sexual orientation, gender identity and more.
- Confidential online instant messaging with a Trevor counselor, available 24/7. Access through a computer, as you may have technical difficulties if using a smartphone or tablet.
- National Runaway Safeline is a federally designated national communication system for runaway and homeless youth, available 24/7/365, providing access to resources and listening professionals. Call NRS at 1-800-RUNAWAY or visit 1800runaway.org
- Trans Lifeline Hotline is a peer support service run by trans people located all over the US and Canada, for trans and questioning callers. Call Trans Lifeline Hotline at 877-565-8860
- The LGBT National Help Center offers a talkline and weekly chatrooms for youth, providing confidential peer-support, information, local resources and community.
- You can call the LGBT National Youth Talkline at 800-246-7743
- You can access the Weekly Youth Chatrooms at glbthotline.org/youthchatrooms
LGBTQ Social Chat Spaces
Youth Q Chat Space is a bully-free online community of LGBTQ teens that can chat with other LGBTQ teens and trained staff from LGBTQ centers around the country. You can access Q Chat Space at www.qchatspace.org
Gender Spectrum Lounge is a global online community for gender-expansive teens, their families and support professionals to connect, collaborate and find resources. You can access the Gender Spectrum Lounge at genderspectrum.org/lounge
True Colors United has created an online COVID-19 Action & Resource center providing the most up-to-date resources for youth and adults experiencing homelesness. They include resources for folks working in the field, advocates making a difference, and young people looking for help. You can access the Action & Resource Center at truecolorsunited.org/coronavirus-action-resource-center/
Family Many PFLAG chapters are meeting virtually or providing 1:1 virtual support as requested for parents/guardians or LGBTQ youth. Go to pflag.org/find to look up the PFLAG chapter in your area and reach out by phone, email or on social media to learn more about their virtual support options.
Trans and LGBTQ Affirming Mental Health Care
Charlotte Trans Healthcare Group - CTHCG is dedicated to improving health outcomes and decreasing health and healthcare disparities within the trans community. Sage Counseling AVL - Offers therapy and addiction services for the LGBTQ community in the Asheville area.
Learn more about the current landscape for mental health from the Trevor Project’s 2021 National Survey on LGBTQ Mental Health
The Trevor Project National Survey
Pride Counseling - Get matched to a licensed therapist. Communicate via phone, video, and messaging.
Trans Gender Affirming Care
Plume - Plume provides gender-affirming care directly from your smartphone. Our experienced healthcare providers understand the unique needs of the trans community.
Folx - Get the care you deserve with medical providers who get you. Get quality, affirming support on your time from the comfort of your home.
Local Organizations NC
National Trans Organizations
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) (advocacy)
- Transgender Law Center (TLC) (legal services and advocacy)
- Gender Proud (advocacy)
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP) (legal services)
- Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF) (legal services)
- Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) (advocacy)
- Trans People of Color Coalition (TPOCC) (advocacy)
- Trans Women of Color Collective (TWOCC) (advocacy)
- Black Trans Advocacy (advocacy)
- Trans Latina Coalition (advocacy)
- Gender Spectrum (support for families, trans youth, and educators)
- Gender Diversity (support for families, trans youth, and educators)
- Trans Youth Equality Federation (support for families and trans youth)
- Trans Youth Family Allies (TYFA) (support for families and trans youth)
- TransTech Social Enterprises (economic empowerment)
- SPART*A (advocacy for trans military service members)
- Transgender American Veterans Association (advocacy for trans veterans)
- TransAthlete.com (info about trans athletes)
- TransLife Center at Chicago House (support services)
Transgender Programs at LGBT Organizations
- GLAAD's Transgender Media Program (media advocacy)
- Freedom for All Americans (policy and legislative advocacy)
- PFLAG Our Trans Loved Ones (support for families of people who are trans)
- PFLAG Transgender Resources (resources for trans people and their families)
- PFLAG's Transgender Ally campaign (advocacy)
- COLAGE Kids of Trans Community (support for kids of trans parents)
- The Task Force's Transgender Civil Rights Project (advocacy)
- HRC's transgender resources (advocacy)
- Gender Identity Project at the NYC LGBT Center (support services)
- American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) (legal services)
- Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD)
- National Center for Lesbian Rights - Transgender Law (legal services)
- L.A. LGBT Center's Transgender Economic Empowerment Project (economic empowerment)
- SF Transgender Economic Empowerment Initiative (economic empowerment)
- TransJustice at the Audre Lorde Project (advocacy)
- Transgender Lives: Your Stories is an interactive campaign created by The New York Times to allow transgender people to tell their own stories in their own words.
- I AM: Trans People Speak is a campaign created by the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) and sponsored by GLAAD to raise awareness about the diversity of transgender communities. It lifts the voices of transgender individuals, as well as their families, friends, and allies.
- Transgender Rights Project (legal services)