Jun 8, 2021
Equality NC is Hiring A Communications Director
Communications Director Job Description
- Job Title: Communications Director
- Status: Full Time, Exempt
- Place of Performance: Raleigh, NC
- Travel Requirements: None
- Supervisor: Executive Director
- Direct Reports: Yes
The Opportunity – About Equality NC
At ENC we envision a thriving, liberated North Carolina with a powerful LGBTQ+ community united in service of racial and social justice. Our mission is to build LGBTQ+ power through advocacy, education, and uplifting the stories of queer and trans North Carolinians in pursuit of racial and social justice. Join a team that is passionately committed to advancing the collective lived equality for our most vulnerable populations and communities. Our organization has a close-knit culture in which we place a high priority on communication, collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusion where each person is supported to thrive and grow together. Equality NC recognizes that historical and systemic inequity, especially institutional racism, is the root cause of the problems we aim to solve. We acknowledge that it is impossible for us to fulfill our mission without creating an equitable and inclusive environment for our staff, partners, and people we serve. For more information about Equality NC, please visit our website.
The Communications Director is a member of the organization’s senior staff, reporting to the Executive Director. Working closely with ENC’s leadership cross-team, the Communications Director develops ENC’s communications strategy, shapes the voices of the organization, manages all media relations, and utilizes traditional, new and social media to promote LGBTQ equality in service of racial and social justice throughout North Carolina.
Communications Strategy, Vision, Leadership
- Develop and implement an integrated, organization wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of the nonprofit sector and strengthen Equality NC’s brand identity across key stakeholder audiences.
- Create a brand/marketing/public relations strategy that will allow Equality NC executive and board leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high level external audiences, including the media, public officials and key influencers.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the LGBTQ community and organization.
- Work with the board and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Oversee the continued development and use of the ENC brand
- Oversee, or execute as needed, all copy intended for public consumption to ensure its alignment with the strategic communications plan
- Oversee, or execute as needed, the development of all print and branded materials
- Oversee, or execute as needed, the development of electronic communications, including ENC’s website, monthly electronic newsletter, and other electronic communications
- Curate content and increase audience engagement on ENC’s social media channels
- Exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed
- Serve as lead point person on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization and actively cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage of issues of strategic importance to the LGBTQ community, as well as ENC’s programs, special events, public announcements, and other projects.
- Manage relationships with any communications related vendors or consultants
Team Development and Management
- Recruit and manage a communications support team to support the development and execution of the communications strategy
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to equality
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis
- Attend ENC functions, including ENCF’s Gala, quarterly Board meetings, monthly committee meetings and other ENC events.]
- Support the Executive Director in maintaining a strong team spirit within the office.
Public Education and Media Relations
- Spearhead multi-media public education campaigns to extend the impact of our advocacy
- Work with local, regional and national press to pitch stories, maximize media coverage, and ENC’s visibility in communities statewide
- Assist in the organization’s educational programs by writing letters to the editor and guest opinion editorials
- Draft and edit all press materials, including press releases, media advisories, and memos
- Conduct press outreach in collaboration with the organization’s local chapters.
- Identify and coach spokespeople on ENC’s issue priorities, from pro-equality elected officials to community members.
- Develop online e-activism campaigns and other web organizing campaigns with the Director of Civic Engagement & Politics and the organization’s Chief Operating Officer.
- Manage all day-to-day posting across ENC’s social media accounts.
- Oversee and execute rapid response campaigns tied to events or legislation that negatively impact the LGBTQ community or communities of color.
- Work with COO to create and implement fundraising appeals and campaigns
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field is required.
- Management experience is preferred.
- Substantial experience (minimum of five years) in strategic communications, media relations or journalism, ideally in an “in-house” role within a nonprofit or media organization.
- A profound, sincere, and well-articulated commitment to LGBTQ and BIPOC equality; Understanding of core LGBTQ policy issues through an intersectional lens.
- Outstanding and extensive writing and editing experience with a variety of print and online communications media, as well as experience working with media outlets.
- A rich understanding of the landscape of social media and how to effectively build a communications strategy around Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with diverse audiences, including reporters and editors, elected officials, community leaders, coalition partners and the public.
- Experience creating advocacy and membership materials including newsletters and content for member/activist email alerts, blog, and website is preferred.
- A keen eye for design, page layout, font, and general aesthetic presentation.
- Excellent communications skills, both written and oral.
- Superb organization skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Computer proficiency, including content management systems, web development, and graphic design programs.
- Strong level of comfort in offering thought leadership and direction to staff.
Thrive in an intense, do-it-yourself, start-up environment. Ability to work well remotely, within a cross-functional team environment and with diverse communities.
- This position is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated communications expert to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization.
- As such, compensation for this role is competitive. The starting salary will be commensurate with candidate experience. The salary range is $55K-$65K.
- Health, dental, vision, long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance
- Vacation, PTO, and holidays
- Matching 403(b)
How to Apply
Equality NC is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and to building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. BIPOC LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume, cover letter, and 2-3 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should express your specific interest in and qualifications for this role. Please note that due to the complexity of this position the hiring process may be protracted and will be extensive. Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. If the position is visible on our website, it remains open.