Jan 7, 2022
Equality NC Is Hiring A Director of Politics & Civic Engagement
ENC Director of Politics & Civic Engagement Job Description
- Job Title: Director of Politics & Civic Engagement
- Status: Full Time, Exempt
- Place of Performance: Triangle, NC
- Travel Requirements: Statewide
- Supervisor: Executive Director
- Direct Reports: 3-5
The Opportunity – About Equality NC
At ENC we envision a thriving, liberated North Carolina with a powerful LGBTQ+ community united in service of racial and social justice. Our mission is to build LGBTQ+ power through advocacy, education, and uplifting the stories of queer and trans North Carolinians in pursuit of racial and social justice. Join a team that is passionately committed to advancing the collective lived equality for our most vulnerable populations and communities. Our organization has a close-knit culture in which we place a high priority on communication, collaboration, diversity, equity, and inclusion where each person is supported to thrive and grow together. Equality NC recognizes that historical and systemic inequity, especially institutional racism, is the root cause of problems we aim to solve. We acknowledge that it is impossible for us to fulfill our mission without creating an equitable and inclusive environment for our staff, partners, and people we serve. For more information about Equality NC, please visit our website.
We're seeking an experienced and energetic professional who will lead our Politics Department to build and strengthen Equality NC’s civic engagement, political program, and field program. The Director of Politics and Civic Engagement and will work closely with our civic engagement team and core partners to develop, fund, and execute a rigorous political and civic engagement program.
Major efforts include voter registration, engaging with federal, state, and local candidates, and with several statewide and local ballot initiatives. The Director of Politics and Civic Engagement is responsible for coordinating these electoral programs, and raising an ambitious budget for our civic engagement team and work.
The Director of Politics and Civic Engagement manages long-term strategic thinking about how Equality NC and its partners can use political engagement to build sustainable power in historically marginalized communities.
A strong candidate will have significant experience managing staff, raising political money, developing political and advocacy campaign strategies, and working with community-based organizations.
The Director of Politics and Civic Engagement will work collaboratively with other staff, particularly the ENC Leadership Team and the ENC Board of Directors Governance Committee.
- Develop and strengthen ENC’s Political Department, including identifying strategic opportunities for growth and success, as well as managing challenges
- Oversee development of a statewide political plan by working with the Civic Engagement Team and state-based partners in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of voter engagement and political programs
- Oversee field strategy around ENC’s advocacy and policy work by working with the Policy Director and partner organization to engage ENC’s members and supporters
- Manage and provide strong leadership for the Civic Engagement Team, including effective supervision and development of staff
- Recruit members for ENC’s membership program, ENC Crew
- Work with Development Team to create fundraising metrics to support Civic Engagement Team
- Act as lead fundraiser for Civic Engagement Team
- Coordinate with other departments within the organization to ensure that the political and advocacy program aligns with ENC’s broader strategy
- Represent ENC at key tables, coalitions, and meetings with allies and national partners;
- Manage the Political and Civic Engagement Team Budget
- Leverage relationships to support ENC’s political and advocacy programs with state partners
- Recruit and hire new staff for the Civic Engagement Team
- Create and implement a statewide volunteer program
- Partner with the Communications Team to project externally ENC’s political agenda and message
- Provide high-level strategic advice to the Executive Director on program development including long-term strategy and growth, targeting, electoral, legislative campaigns and ballot initiative opportunities
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL POSSESS THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low and moderate income families
- At least 5 years’ experience in electoral, civic engagement, or political campaigns, with some relevant connection to community, labor, or other non-candidate politics
- At least 3 years of management experience
- Possesses a strong political network and relationships with leaders within progressive landscape
- Experience working across departments or teams within an organization
- Experience managing large scale or statewide political or voter engagement campaigns
- Experience developing or managing candidate endorsement process
- Experience working with multiple political and electoral campaign committees
- Experience with technology and fundraising tools would be beneficial (Hustle, Social Media, Raiser’s Edge, Text Through, Zoom, Act Blue, and Vote Builder )
- Familiarity with political data, latest technologies, and best practices in the field
- Independent and strong leader that is able to drive project and programs to completion in fast-paced environment
- Ability to work within a coalition of diverse organizations and partners
- Experience working in diverse communities and with grassroots organizations
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Results-focused and organized
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently
- Willing to have significant travel schedule (when safely able to do so)
Thrive in an intense, do-it-yourself, start-up environment. Ability to work well remotely, within a cross-functional team environment and with diverse communities.
- This position is an outstanding opportunity for a highly motivated policy advocate to assume a pivotal role in the evolution of a fast-growing, highly respected organization. As such, compensation for this role is competitive. The starting salary will be commensurate with candidate experience. The salary range is $60K-$70K.
- Health, dental, vision, long-term disability, short-term disability, and life insurance
- Vacation, PTO, and holidays
- Matching 403(b)
How to Apply
Equality NC is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive work environment and to building a team that reflects the rich diversity of our community. BIPOC, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Your cover letter should express your specific interest in and qualifications for this role. Applications without cover letters will not be reviewed.
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. If the position is visible on our website, it remains open.