Virtual Resources to Support LGBTQ Mental Health
While North Carolina schools and campuses are facilitating virtual and hybrid learning spaces, LGBTQ youth are experiencing further isolation from their peers without access to LGBTQ-specific social groups including genders and sexualities alliances (GSAs). This resource is a guide for LGBTQ youth and supportive allies to best support mental health needs during distance learning and social distancing. To add resources or to ask any questions, please email email@example.com.
- If you are thinking about hurting yourself, call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).
- If you are a LGBTQ youth who is thinking about hurting yourself or is in crisis, call The Trevor Project’s 24-Hour Suicide Prevention Hotline at 866-488-7386.
- If you are a transgender person in crisis or needing support, call Trans Lifeline at 877-565-8860.
Trevor Project -- Hotlines & Digital Resources
- If you are a college student please visit the College Suicide Prevention Guide by Affordable Colleges Online.
- Trevor Lifeline has trained counselors to support LGBTQ youth 24/7. If you are a young person in crisis, feeling suicidal, or in need of a safe and judgment-free place to talk, call the TrevorLifeline now at 1-866-488-7386 or visit their website here.
- TrevorChat is a free, confidential and secure instant messaging service that provides live help to LGBTQ youth. Head here to join.
- TrevorText is a confidential and secure resource that provides live help for LGBTQ youth with a trained specialist, over text messages. Text START to 678-678. *Standard text messaging rates apply.
- National Suicide Hotline 1-800-273-8255 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
- Lifeline Chat is a service of the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, connecting individuals with counselors for emotional support and other services via web chat. All chat centers in the Lifeline network are accredited by CONTACT USA. Lifeline Chat is available 24/7 across the U.S.
- National Runaway Safeline is a federally designated national communication system for runaway and homeless youth, available 24/7/365, providing access to resources and listening professionals: 1-800-RUNAWAY.
- The Validation Station is a free texting service that sends daily gender-affirming and uplifting text messages to trans and non-binary youth in lockdown.
- Trans Lifeline Hotline is a peer support service run by trans people located all over the US and Canada, for trans and questioning callers: 877-565-8860
- NC Coalition against Domestic Violence: 919-956-9124
Virtual Chat & Discussion Groups
- Q Chat Space
- Youth OUTright Discussion Group
- Time Out Youth - Trans & GNC Discussion Group - Tea Time
- Discussion Groups on Discord
- Gender Spectrum Lounge is a global online community for gender-expansive teens, their families and support professionals to connect, collaborate and find resources.
LGBTQ Homelessness Resources
- National Guidance on Emergency Homeless Services for Youth and Young Adults via True Colors Fund including federal emergency solutions grants in support of youth experiencing homelessness for local administrators of homelessness services.
- Trans People and COVID-19, via the National Center for Transgender Equality.
- LGBTQ COVID-19 Resources, via the Equality Federation
- HUD COVID-19 Resources and Fact Sheets, via HUD
- SNAPS Disease Risk and Homelessness Page, via HUD Exchange
- An Equitable Systems Transformation Framework for COVID-19, via NIS
- Point Source Youth's COVID-19 Toolkits, via Point Source Youth
- COVID-19 Guidance for People Who Use Drugs and Harm Reduction Programs, via the Harm Reduction Coalition